Title: Genetic Counselor at CAIRO
Job Location: CAIRO
Industry: Health Care
Provides genetic counseling and referral services for patients of all age groups (including obstetric-prenatal counseling, multiple miscarriage counseling, reproductive screening and advice, newborn consultation and cancer patients) who have or are at risk for genetic conditions or birth defects. Acts as a consultant to health care providers regarding highly specialized genetic information pertinent to the management of their patients.
The Genetic Counselor provides support to a large team of Doctors in CAIRO City. The Doctors identify families that may have a genetic condition and provides genetic testing, screening and support. Responsibilities of the genetic counselor include clinical and administrative duties, with opportunities to participate in research as time allows. Individuals in this position will gain first-hand knowledge of patient care related to the field of cancer genetics.
- Establishes a mutually agreed upon genetic counseling agenda with the patient and their family;
- Elicits and obtains family history and medical information, including pregnancy development;
- Assists in providing professional psychosocial genetic counseling to individuals regarding hereditary genetic conditions posing potential risks to their children;
- Recommends medical or genetic testing to individuals/families at risk for genetic diseases or birth defects.
- Educates and explains technical and medical aspects of diagnostic and screening methods and reproductive options, including associated risks, benefits and limitations
- Assists in coordinating communication between patient and multi-disciplinary medical team in the diagnosis and evaluation of birth conditions;
- Supports in-patient and out-patient care and at satellite clinics;
- Assists in charting, reporting, coordinating and categorizing clinical testing and test results that are approved by the Chief of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Responds to scheduled genetic counseling appointments with individuals/families promptly;
- May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
- Performs other duties as required.
Educational Requirements: Possession of a Master’s degree in Genetic Counseling/Human Genetics or closely related field
Desired Skills: Genetic Counseling